The Meetinghouse Green is a historic property owned and maintained by The First Church of Christ, Congregational, 1652, whose Meetinghouse is a National Historic Landmark. The Green is located in the center of the village, the oldest part of Farmington. The space, adjacent to the Meetinghouse, Amistad Hall, Sarah Porter Memorial, Barney Library and Noah Wallace School, is directly across the street from the fire station and Miss Porter’s School. This central location makes it a natural gathering place for activities sponsored by the church, the library and the community.
Our objective is to raise money for improvements to enhance the Green and make it a community centerpiece. Funds raised to date have made it possible to obtain detailed plans from landscape architects Ferrero Hixon Associates, renovate the preschool and public playground, install a patio with up to 3,000 personalized bricks for outdoor gatherings, regrade and seed the lawn, and install new paths and steps to the Barney Library. These changes, along with the Barney Library renovations completed in fall 2010, are creating a beautiful community space in the Farmington village. We continue to work with other organizations and associations to raise the funds to complete this plan and will ask local businesses, residents, neighbors and town officials to join us in this effort.
Honor or remember a loved one - purchase a personalized brick for the Meetinghouse Green patio. Click here for a brochure and order form.
The Meetinghouse Green readied for planting grass seed:
The grass seed is planted!
The playground area is cleared:
The playground fence is installed:
Playground mulch is spread: