Amistad HallAmistad Hall was dedicated on September 9, 2006 as a resource for both the church and the greater community. Along with the offices of First Church, it houses the Farmington Food Pantry and The Village Nursery School, and is the site of choice for numerous support groups, meetings, classes, presentations, non-profit events and private parties.
Amistad is Spanish for “friendship” and was the name of the famous ship that represents freedom and liberation. The 34 survivors of that ship came to Farmington for 8 months in 1841 after being freed by the US Supreme Court, while we raised money to sail them back to Sierra Leone in western Africa. Their stay here had a profound affect on First Church, opening its eyes to the world and to injustice. Since that time we have been committed to opening our doors to all people and serving those beyond our walls, in the community and the world.
Amistad Hall was built after 8 years of deliberation and planning and 4 years of fund-raising, including the controversial decision to have Sotheby’s auction off 7 of the church’s 8 early American silver caudle cups (1660-1820).
Its architect, Mark B. Thompson Associates, of Greenwich, CT, and Philadelphia, has also designed buildings for Miss Porter’s School and St. Patrick Roman Catholic Church in Farmington.