View Screen-Reader Accessible Site

History in brief





 
The First Church of Christ in Farmington has a long and distinguished history that began in 1652 when seven "pillars" joined in the church covenant. Roger Newton, the first pastor, was the son-in-law of Hartford founder Thomas Hooker, and was succeeded by Hooker's son, Samuel. Among First Church's favored pastors was Noah Porter, who began America's first foreign missionary society in the parlor of his home. He was also the father of Sarah Porter, founder of Miss Porter's School, and Noah Porter, Jr., president of Yale University. In its over 350 year history, First Church has had 18 Senior Ministers.

The present Meetinghouse, the third, was completed in 1772. It has been a source of pride for this congregation and a source of study for architects and photographers with its graceful lines and beautiful steeple.

This historic church has been making history in many ways, heavily involved in local missions. The church began the first "Sabbath School" in the 1700's for the local Tunxis Indians, to teach them the ways of Christianity. It was a hub of the Underground Railroad, and housed the slaves of the Amistad during the first civil rights case in the United States. The first Sunday School was begun in 1818, and has been running continuously ever since.

Currently, First Church is a busy and exciting place with many opportunities for mission, spiritual growth, study and service. It has begun a time of hope and growth as it looks toward new ways of ministering to people in the twenty-first century in the spirit of Jesus Christ. 

Services

Sundays at 10:00 am